Home Page

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Ruth Bancroft Garden

Admittedly, visiting a dry, prickly garden in Walnut Creek in the heat of day at the height of summer does not sound that appealing. But I love the desert ecosystem and went anyway. I’m glad I did. The Ruth Bancroft Garden is well established with the perfect combination of trees for shade, a water treatment, and artful beds of succulents, cacti, and Mediterranean plants from all over the world. On the afternoon I visited, there was a continual breeze, lots of shade, and very pleasant. I was surprised to see some plants in bloom, including agave, cacti, and several varieties of trees and bushes. The air hummed with the activities of bees, butterflies, and birds.

Ruth's Folley - houses small store and greenhouse.

Ruth Bancroft started collecting succulents in the 1950s; in 1972 she worked with Lester Hawkins of Western Hills Nursery in Occidental, CA to design the dry garden in Walnut Creek. The three-acre parcel was originally part of the 400 acres of native oak trees that Hubert Howe Bancroft cleared in the 1880s for a fruit and walnut orchard. The garden design is a series of paths and garden beds planted with Ruth’s collection.

The pond forms a focal point for the garden.

The garden has a primitive, primal feel to it – I almost expected a dinosaur to appear around a bed of wild looking plants, or to come swooping in from an opening in the tree canopy. This amused me, but I think it expresses the feeling the garden conveys. Many of the plants are monocots – ancient plants, with simple (but amazing) strategies for conserving water and reproducing. I enjoyed my self-guided tour, but plan to return for a docent-guided tour to learn more about the plants, and the garden design. To learn more: http://www.ruthbancroftgarden.org/.


 

No comments: