Home Page

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to School – Plant Diseases

Tonight I head back to school. For the past several years I have been taking classes at Merritt College in Oakland, working toward the basic Landscape Horticulture certificate.

This semester I am taking the Plant Diseases class - to learn all about the pests you find in the garden and the plant problems that result. Sounds hard - more memorization, more Latin names to learn, and more science. And lots of diseased plants to diagnose (all without my Tree ID buddy, Ruth, who is taking another class). What am I thinking? I don't have to do this. But here I am with IPMs (Integrated Pest Management documents) loaded onto my iPad, and a book bag loaded with my notebook, text book, magnifier, and camera.


What is that? I found it hanging
in a pear tree at the Wolf Creek Inn in Oregon
a few years ago. I'm hoping to learn
how to diagnose what is going on.

At home, my long suffering husband is hunkering down to endure four more months of leftovers, fending for himself, and conversations about the insects, bacteria, and viruses that plague the plant kingdom, and ways to combat them without pesticides. Stay tuned!

No comments: