Home Page

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Moose Crossing

I am "on assignment" in Anchorage, Alaska to attend the opening of our son's First Friday art exhibit, on display at Crush Bistro during the month of August. He created fourteen prints for the show (our son is studying print making at University of Alaska), all around the theme of our shells or masks. The pieces are interesting, complex, and beautifully rendered (I have learned all about the processes he uses to create his "fusion" prints over the last year). Did I mention how proud, impressed, and excited I am?

Various family members are converging on the city for the show. We are exploring Anchorage and the surrounding environment, and have plans to visit Denali. Anchorage is a fairly large city, situated on Cook Inlet and surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges. I last visited Anchorage as a teenager, so a lot has changed.

While I am here, I am on the hunt for delicious local grown produce, and interesting garden ideas. Anchorage is close to the Matanuska Valley, with its rich, fertile earth; and short, intense growing season. We have already heard tales of eight feet high moose easily jumping ten feet high fences to browse in people's vegetable gardens (my deer problem now seems fairly insignificant).


I like this coexistence attitude - moose and wild flowers.


No comments: